Friday, March 27, 2009

Travel Tips?

I booked my flight!  I'm incredibly excited.  Traveling to the location where my novel will be set for on-site research is something I've hoped to do ever since I started writing.


I'll be leaving for Chile on April 20, and returning ten days later.  I've got my Lonely Planet guidebook, my Latin American Spanish phrasebook, my passport, raincoat, my netbook PC, Blackberry, digital camera, video camera, and mp3 player (I'll be a walking electronics store!) - is there anything I'm forgetting?

If anyone's been to Chile, particularly to Northern Patagonia, or if anyone has visited a volcano and has travel tips, I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

Vicki Lansen

Hi Karen! How exciting! As for what to pack, I'm sure you already considered warm, comfortable clothing and good boots (not new!) for the trip. It is already snowing in the mountains here, and quite rainy...something to consider. Truly, the locally made wool socks will save you cold toes, and perform much better than high-dollar commercially produced "medias". Maybe Nicolas can line you up with a couple of pairs.

You are in absolutely the best hands with Nicolas La Penna. He is a guide of highest standards. He doesn't take chances, knows this area better than anyone, and is an incredible guy.

My last thought and comment is that you will regret only having ten days in Chile!

Vicki Lansen

I forgot to add that on Youtube there are some incredible videos of the eruption. On one (I will see if I can find it) you can see Nicolas holding one of his daughters rushing to an evacuation boat in Chaiten. Absolutely mesmerizing.

Vicki
www.futalandia.blogspot.com

Karen Dionne

Wonderful suggestions, Vicki - thanks so much for stopping by. I love your blog - I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time reading it! If you can find that video, I'd love to see it. I can't imagine what that must have felt like to be there the first time Chaiten erupted.

One thing I'm hoping to be able to incorporate in my novel by traveling to Chile and the vicinity of the volcano besides creating a sense of place, is to convey the eruption's impact on the town and the people.

Thanks again!

Karen

  © Blogger template 'Totally Lost' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP